When you join a kosher tour on our river cruise, we cater to all special requests.
For vegans and vegetarians here are some of our recipes.
Sweet Potato and Black Bean Quesadillas
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 cup brown rice, cooked
- 8 ounces re-fried beans
- 1 cup of salsa
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 8 ounces black beans, drained and rinsed
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- 1 jalapeño pepper, diced (optional and HOT)
- 6-8 whole-wheat tortillas
- Preheat oven to 375º F. Prepare a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- An hour before you plan to eat, peel and quarter the sweet potatoes.
- Bake sweet potatoes in the oven for 45 minutes to one hour, until soft.
- In the meantime, prepare rice, remove sweet potatoes from oven and toss into a mixing bowl.
- Mash sweet potatoes with the salsa, rice and fresh spinach.
- Place sweet potato mash in a sauce pan and mix in black beans and refried beans, heating mixture thoroughly over medium heat.
- Add onion powder, chili powder and cumin to taste and stir.
- Place a tortilla in a frying pan on medium heat, and slather the side facing up with sweet potato and bean mixture. Add jalapeños if desired.
- Place another whole wheat tortilla on top. Press down on top tortilla with spatula with pan on medium heat for about 3 minutes.
- Flip with spatula and cook for another three minutes. Cut into desired number of sections.
- Serve topped with salsa.
Grilled Breaded Tofu Steaks
- ½ block firm or extra firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon miso paste
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil/extra light olive oil
- ½ teaspoon pure maple syrup
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs
- Squash and quinoa chili
- onion 1 large, finely chopped
- garlic cloves 2, crushed
- olive oil
- mild chili powder 1 tbsp.
- butternut squash 1, peeled and cubed
- quinoa 100g, soaked in cold water for 10 minutes
- chopped tomatoes 2 × 400g tins
- red kidney beans 400g tin
- coriander a small bunch, chopped
Cook the onion and garlic in 1 tbsp. olive oil until soft (about 7 minutes). Add the chili powder, cook for a minute then add the squash, quinoa and tomatoes.
Simmer for 10-15 minutes until the squash and quinoa are tender and the sauce has thickened. Add the beans and heat through. Stir in the coriander and serve in bowls.
Quinoa, Corn and Edamame Salad
- 2 cups frozen shelled edamame
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup cooked, cooled quinoa (leftover is great)
- 1 green onion, sliced (just green parts)
- ½ red sweet bell pepper, diced
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1½ Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- ⅛ tsp fresh ground black pepper
- dash of cayenne
- Briefly boil the edamame and the corn, just until tender. Drain very well and cool completely.
- In a large bowl, combine the edamame, corn, quinoa, green onion, red pepper and cilantro.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, lime juice, salt, chili powder, black pepper, thyme and cayenne until emulsified. Drizzle mixture over salad mixture and toss to coat. Cover and chill for at least two hours.