Kosher Recipe by Master Kosher Chef Malcolm Green
I am sure everyone has had their fill of hearty meat meals over the chag. So here is a nice vegetarian recipe to ease you away from meat and matzot.
We use this recipe on our cruises but usually make it vegan.
Mushroom and Nut Crumble Recipe
- 12 ounces sliced open-cup mushrooms
- 12 ounces sliced chestnut mushrooms
- 14 fluid ounces vegetable stock
- 2 ounces butter or marg
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 12 ounces plain flour
- 4 tbsp double cream
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper herbs to garnish
- 3 ounces medium oatmeal
- 3 ounces whole meal flour
- 1 ounce ground almonds
- 1 ounce finely chopped walnuts
- 2 ounces finely chopped unsalted pistachio nuts
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 3 ounces butter or marg, softened
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- Put the mushrooms and stock in a large saucepan, bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 15 minutes, until tender. Drain, reserving the stock.
- In another saucepan, melt the butter or Marge and fry the onion and garlic for 2-3 minutes, until just soft. Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Remove from the heat and gradually stir in the reserved mushroom stock. Return to the heat and cook, stirring, until thickened. Stir in the mushrooms, seasoning, cream and parsley and spoon into a shallow ovenproof dish.
- To make the topping, in a bowl, mix together the oatmeal, flour, nuts, thyme and plenty of salt and pepper to taste.
- Using a fork, mix in the butter or Marge until the topping resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- Sprinkle the topping mixture evenly over the mushrooms and then sprinkle with the fennel seeds. Bake in a preheated oven, at 190C/375F/gas 5, for about 25-30 minutes, or until the topping is golden and crisp. Garnish with fresh herbs and serve immediately.