Kosher Recipe by Master Kosher Chef Malcolm Green
Chocolates and carrots may seem like an unlikely combination. One is a vegetable used in a variety of sumptuous and savory dishes, while the other is a versatile dessert ingredient used in many kinds of sweet delights. However, great kosher cuisine can often result from peculiar combinations. Besides, the chocolate carrot cake has been enjoyed by food enthusiasts for a long time, so why not try it? Here’s a delicious moist chocolate carrot cake recipe for you to enjoy.
Moist Chocolate Carrot Cake Recipe
- 2 lb. butter
- 2 tsp. grated orange rind
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 9 eggs
- 5 tbsp. golden syrup
- 1 ½ cups coarsely grated carrot
- 2 lb. self-raising flour
- ½ cup. Bicarb
- 1 ½ cup cocoa
- 1 pint milk
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 2 oz butter
- 1 tsp. coarsely grated orange rind
- 3 cups icing sugar
- 2 tsp. hot water
- Grease 20cm baba pan. Cream the butter and the rind and sugar in small bowl with electric mixer only until combined. Beat in the eggs and golden syrup, transfer to large bowl. Stir in carrot, sifted flour, bicarb, cocoa and the milk in 2 batches.
- Pour mixture into the prepared pan. Bake in moderate oven for about 50 minutes or until firm. Stand 5 minutes before turning onto wire rack to cool. Spread cold cake with frosting.
- CREAM CHEESE FROSTING: Beat cream cheese, butter and orange rind in small bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy, gradually beat in sifted icing sugar and water; beat until combined.