As a result of colonization, many Dutch tribes set foot in many regions of Indonesia. At that time, the Dutch traders who came to Manado, North Celebes, introduced a recipe of a dish that has later been combined with Indonesian ingredients. Because of that, the ingredients of klappertaart is a combination of Dutch and Indonesian culture. That is what makes klappertaart associated with Manado.
Klappertaart is one of the results of acculturation between Dutch and Indonesian culture. Colonization in Indonesia not only gave a negative impact, but also improves Indonesian food culture.
- 10 tbsp desiccated coconut
- 4 tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp butter
- 7 tbsp icing sugar
- 4 whole eggs
- 2 c coconut milk (not coconut milk beverage!)
- a pinch of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Melt butter and set aside to cool to room temperature
- Beat sugar, eggs, salt, vanilla essence
- Stir in flour, followed with melted butter, and coconut
- Pour into greased pan/mold, add some raisins if you like, bake on preheated 350 F for 20-25 minutes