Staying at home during self-isolation can sometimes bore you. But on the other hand, this is the perfect time to explore your skills – especially cooking! Having your cookery talents sharpened won’t only help you survive, but also make you a better person. Now, if you want to start your journey in becoming a cooking expert, why not recreate this yummy Mushroom and Nut Crumble we have prepared for you?
This is an easy meal to make, and you will surely love every taste of it.
MUSHROOM AND NUT CRUMBLE
- 12 oz sliced open-cup mushrooms
- 12 oz sliced chestnut mushrooms
- 14oz vegetable stock
- 2 oz butter or marg
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 oz plain flour
- 4 tbsp double cream
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper herbs to garnish
- 3 oz medium oatmeal
- 3 oz whole meal flour
- 1 oz ground almonds
- 1 oz finely chopped walnuts
- 2 oz finely chopped unsalted pistachio nuts
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 3 oz butter or marg, softened
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- Put the mushrooms and stock in a large saucepan, bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 15 minutes, until tender. Drain, reserving the stock.
- In another saucepan, melt the butter or Marge and fry the onion and garlic for 2-3 minutes, until just soft. Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Remove from the heat and gradually stir in the reserved mushroom stock. Return to the heat and cook, stirring, until thickened. Stir in the mushrooms, seasoning, cream and parsley and spoon into a shallow ovenproof dish.
- To make the topping, in a bowl, mix together the oatmeal, flour, nuts, thyme and plenty of salt and pepper to taste.
- Using a fork, mix in the butter or Marge until the topping resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- Sprinkle the topping mixture evenly over the mushrooms and then sprinkle with the fennel seeds. Bake in a preheated oven, at 190C/375F/gas 5, for about 25-30 minutes, or until the topping is golden and crisp. Garnish with fresh herbs and serve immediately.