Mulligatawny Soup, as many people assume is not an Irish dish, it’s comes from India. It was created by Indian servants for functionaries of the British Raj.
Mullaga-Tawny signifies pepper water.
Also, Seinfeld aficionados will remember it was one of the soups of the Soup Nazi. As he said to Elaine. “No soup for you, Come back one year”
Chicken Mulligatawny Soup Recipe
- 2 tablespoons pareve margarine
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 4 cloves of garlic crushed
- 2 ribs celery, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 carrots, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 teaspoon yellow curry powder
- 1 1/4 pound (570 g) boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of visible fat · 2 cups (475 ml) chicken stock
- 2 cups (475 ml) water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt (or 1 teaspoon sea salt)
- ¼ Teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup uncooked basmati rice
- 2 tart apples, cored, peeled, and chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1/4 (60 ml) cup, pareve coconut cream
- 1 tablespoon minced chives for garnis
- Heat margarine and olive oil on medium high heat in a large (4 to 5 quart), thick-bottomed pot. Add the onions, celery, and carrots. Cook for 5 minutes until just starting to soften. Add the bay leaves. Add the curry powder and crushed garlic.
- Add chicken, stock, salt: Add the chicken thighs and stir to coat with the curry mixture. Add the stock and water to the pot. Add the salt & pepper. Bring to a simmer and reduce the heat to maintain a simmer. Cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove chicken, let cool to touch: Remove the chicken pieces from the pot. (They should be just cooked through. If not, return them to the pot for another 5 minutes or so, until they are cooked through.) Place on a cutting board and allow to cool to the touch
- Add rice, apples: Add the rice and the chopped apples to the soup. Return to a simmer on high heat, then lower the heat to maintain a low simmer. Cover and cook for 15 minutes, or until the rice is cooked through.
- Shred the chicken, return to soup, add coconut cream: While the apples and rice are cooking in the soup, shred the chicken. Once the rice and apples in the soup are cooked, add the chicken back to the pot. Heat for 5 minutes more. Then stir in the coconut cream.
- Serve with chives chives.
- And now some shortcuts.
- Instead of using the chicken thighs, use breast of chicken. Cut into strips and add to soup 5 minutes before final cooking.
- Use pre-cooked rice, add at the same time as the chicken, as above.
- If using the above shortcuts, only cook the apples etc for 5 minutes.